[Tfug] and another thing:

Sam Hart tfug@tfug.org
Tue Sep 10 08:32:02 2002

begin  quote: On 02-09-09, Harry  McGregor wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, c tripp wrote:
>

> > bowie:
> >
> > just got through to cox tech support.  they're saying they don't support
> > linux.  WTF...?  Is this true?
>
> Well, they don't provide tech support for it, but you should be able to
> just plugin and dhcp request, and it will work.
>
> Quite a number of us are using cox without any issues.
>
> Now accessing their email server... don't know, never checked mine.

Both that and their website can give you troubles as well, provided you've
been using them since they were @home. For example, I cannot access their
online FAQ section (useless, I know) because you're required to login. But
because I never ran their Windows conversion tools that shipped to me when
@home went under, I come up as an unconverted "Roadrunner" user (which was
something I never was) and was refused connection.

I actually tried to convince an online rep this was happenning (because I
was having some wierd issues with MAC addresses, long story, and needed
one obscure FAQ), and his response was that it wasn't their policy to
"hold my hand" as I go through the website login process (he was a dick).

In other words, as long as you don't need any of the fluff that Cox offers
you (and really, who does?) you'll be peachy keen.

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart@physics.arizona.edu>