[Tfug] Another UPS question

John Gruenenfelder tfug@tfug.org
Fri Sep 6 15:37:01 2002

I'm still having trouble communicating with my nice new Opti-UPS PowerPS 800.
I know about the lame cable issue, so I got a friendly guy down in the
electronics shop in Steward to fix the cable for me.

When I try to connect to the UPS, using the Safeplus software provided by
Opti, it never works properly.  When I run Safeplus, a few of the status boxes
indicate that voltages are normal, but none of the boxes/dials actually SHOW
the values from the UPS.  Then, within about 10 seconds, an error appears
stating that communication has been lost and to check the connection.

I know /dev/ttyS1 is the proper port.  I've also since ordered the replacement
cable from Opti and have the same results (bye-bye $20).

Harry, you previously indicated that the software worked quite well at
Corbett.  Did you have to do anything special to set this thing up besides the
cable issue?

This is on kernel 2.4.17 with XFS patches and using devfs.  Why the hell
couldn't Opti just use a normal serial cable instead of their bastard 3-pin
version?  Arrrrggghhh!

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
johng@as.arizona.edu