[Tfug] newbie, almost

Harry McGregor tfug@tfug.org
Thu Sep 5 09:15:01 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Scott Harvey wrote:

> Hello, my name is Scott and I have just signed on to the list.
> I live on the east side and am waiting for the funds to have my first
> linux box built.

OK, keep in mind for learning the command line, even a 486 might be able
to do what you want... -:) of course faster can always be useful.

> I have been reading volumes on the OS and am looking VERY foreward to
> getting involved!
> For now at least, I am just going to read posts and learn some more, but
> when I finally break my win-chains,

Ok.

> I am quite certain I will have tons of questions, and need for support.
>  Hopefully you all are the patient type with
> new learners,

Well, beyond Bowie, most of us are the patient type...

> and perhaps could suggest some sort of local class to help
> me get started.

Well, Pima has CIS 137 intro to Unix, using linux (I would recommend West
campus, due to problems students have told me about the server setup at
East), and CIS 225 Linux Networking (Tought at East by John Morrow, and
West by me (Harry McGregor), both campus do a rather good job, and both of
us teach using Debian GNU/Linux, as far as the physical lab goes, West has
a higher end lab, but if you are closer to east, than that would be the
one for you).  I am also working on getting an Advanced Linux Networking
course on the schedual for next semester (this semester it is being
offered as an "advanced topics in..." CIS298 course, next semester it will
have a "real" number).

CIS225 at west is about to get "going" (last friday was the first night,
and all we really did was intro) this friday night (5:30-9or10ish pm), if
you are interested stop by, and I might be able to sign you into the
course.  I would also recommend trying to take CIS137 (IIRC it's monday
night 5:30-9ish at west, don't remember the times at east).

> As of now, I still use windows (highly modified) and am really quite
> bored with it.

I can understand that...

			Harry