[Tfug] Any way to disable LILO?

Harry McGregor tfug@tfug.org
Tue Sep 3 08:28:01 2002

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Mark Hildabrand wrote:

> Harry -
>
> Unfortunately, my XP disk won't autoboot, so I'm forced to install XP Home
> in an unallocated sector.  Also, for some reason the Linux recovery disk I
> made when installing Mandrake 7.1 failed to boot, so I'm sunk a second time.

The XP cd should have a "repair" option, though I have not installed Home
much (I try and stick to Win2K pro or XP Pro, the consumer level MS OSes
are not that great).

Another option is to download and use a grub boot floppy, it might be able
to at least boot your Linux partition, and possible your windows install,
also if you have a FAT16/32 partion, you can download a program called
bootpart from www.winimage.com.

You can download an image of it from:
http://campus.azintl.edu/~micros/grub.img

You will want to use either rawrite or winrawrite to write it out to
floppy from windows or "dd" to write it to floppy on a Unix system.

> BTW --
>
> The class I mentioned before is your Friday night group--you might remember
> me by the black eye I'm sporting for the next couple of weeks.

Yes... see you on friday.

> Thanks for the response,

your welcome.

			Harry