[Tfug] Any way to disable LILO?

Glenn Shannon tfug@tfug.org
Mon Sep 2 16:31:01 2002

That's actually somewhat of a conundrum. Sometimes XP does, sometimes it
doesn't overwrite LILO on the MBR. Fdisk /MBR from a 98 boot floppy and
then repair the MBR for XP (fixmbr in the repair console), then you can
reinstall lilo.

-----Original Message-----
From: tfug-admin@tfug.org [mailto:tfug-admin@tfug.org] On Behalf Of
Harry McGregor
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 3:10 PM
To: tfug@tfug.org
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Any way to disable LILO?

The XP repair should overwrite lilo.  I woudl recommend making a boot
disk
for your Linux install before trying to repair the windows MBR.

		Harry

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Mark Hildabrand
wrote:

> Here's a real newbie question--
>
> I recently installed Mandrake Linux in anticipation of a Linux class
I'm
> currently taking.  My system (used to) dual boots to WinXP and Linux,
but,
> due to an error during a Partition Magic session, I can no longer
access
> NTLDR during bootup.  The quick fix is to use my XP setup CD to repair
MBR,
> but to do that, I need LILO to not run.
>
> So, how do I disable LILO to implement the fix?
>
> Thanks.
>
> BTW -- Linux still runs fine.  That's how I am able to send this
request for
> help.
>
> Mark

Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
Hmcgregor@osef.org, (520) 661-7875 (CELL)
Open Source Education Foundation, http://www.osef.org
A non-profit tax exempt charitable organization