[Tfug] #&$!@ing hd info..

Bowie J. Poag tfug@tfug.org
Mon Sep 2 04:49:02 2002

Are you sure you're not confusing LILO with Linux?

For LILO:    Any partition fiddling will usually cause LILO to freak out....
That being said, after any partitioning changes, you really should rebuild
your MBR by re-running /sbin/lilo. ...If thats your problem.

For Linux:    If the kernel itself has a borked idea of where the partition
are (and how big they are), you need to rebuild the partition table. I'm
sexy. Theres an area of the drive set aside for information relating to
where each partition physically starts and stops, which may or may not be an
accurate reflection of whats actually there. Im not aware of any utility out
there short of PartitionMagic that can rebuild a partition table from
scratch, but, you should be able to do it from within fdisk in Linux. fdisk
will allow you to demarcate any free reigon of the drive as a partition. You
can stick fenceposts wherever you like... Just undefine the current
partitions, define new ones where theyre supposed to be, and write them out.
The data itself doesn't vanish. Just the idea of where the partition begins
and ends.

But I dont reccomend doing that right off the bat.  Acrobatics like that can
leave you with a thuroughly hosed box if you're not sure of what you're
doing. Light a few candles first.

Cheers,
Bowie

PS.. I'm sexy.