[Tfug] ssh server for windows?

Angus Scott-Fleming tfug@tfug.org
Mon Dec 16 22:09:01 2002

On 16 Dec 2002 at 11:29, Brian Murphy  wrote:

> Quoting "James A. Gronowski" <jagronow@u.arizona.edu>:
> > I know this is slightly OT, but I'm always using SSH to connect to
> > various *nix machines.  Is there a SSH server for the Windows
> > platform?  It seems the most common solution is to install Cygwin and
> > install a ssh server there.  I'd rather not do that, but it may be my
> > only option.  Has anyone done anything similar?
> >

> ssh.com makes one.  Its not free.  I also heard some people grumble
> about its flexibility.  If I remember, it was something about how it
> works with multiple accounts.
>
> http://www.ssh.com/products/security/secureshellwinserver/
>
> Click the Try link for a limited time evaluation copy.

OpenSSH has a portable free version that has been ported to Cygwin;
haven't tried it, but that should meet the needs.
http://www.openssh.org/portable.html  There's a message at
SecurityFocus.com that discusses setting it up:
http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/121/219481/2001-10-08/2001-10-14/2

Other stuff:

http://www.mines.edu/Academic/computer/security/tools/ssh/
[1Mar2000]     SSH2 (for Unix and Windows) is now available for
universities free of charge. See
http://www.ssh.com/about/press/release01032000.html and
http://www.ssh.com/products/ssh/universities.html

NT SSH Server:
Sergey Okhapkin's SSH Server for NT at:    http://www.lexa.ru/sos/
(NOTE: Currently there is a security concern about using the cygwin32 dll
in a multi-user environment. If you are interested in using Okhapkin's NT
SSH server, you may also want to read Chuck Bogorad's useful hints
(http://www.lexa.ru/sos/ssh-without-cygwin.html) for running ssh without
cygnus gnu-win32 tools.)

If you just need the SCP component of the server, there's a freeware SCP
server for Win32 called RunSCP.  Google for it.

HTH ... Angus

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona